- Current, passport sized photograph
- Name, Address, date and place of birth
- Any other names you have ever used
- Clear Thumb print
- Statement saying you are not prohibited from obtaining a firearm.
- Certificate stating you will keep your firearm away from anyone under 18 years of age
- Written Exam, that covers: safe storage, safe handling, risks of having gun at home, legal responsibilities for having firearm, and anything else the Attorney General determines appropriate.
- “an Authorization by the applicant to release to the Attorney General or an authorized representative of the Attorney General ANY MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS pertaining to the applicant”
Did you catch number 8 on the list. OK, I am OK with the picture, thumb print and documents saying I know how to keep firearms safely, but do I really need to sign my medical records over to the federal government.
BTW, you still have to use the OLD background check as well. But you will also have to pay a $25.00 licensing fee to the Federal Government. (OK, so the bill says up to $25.00 but since when has the Federal Government only charged the minimum amount?)
But there are a few other things that must happen as well. The seller must file the application within 48 hours (under penalty of law).
The license expires every 5 years, and you are required to get a new license, including new photograph, if you wish to keep your firearms. So you have to go through the entire license process again, within 30 days of the license expiring. What happens if they change the fee, or the requirements for the license? I can see this as a way for them to make it harder and harder for Americans to afford to have firearms.
But wait, that is not all. You now are required to tell the Attorney General within 72 hours if one of your firearms is missing or stolen. And you have 60 days to tell him when you move, and your new address.
It will also be illegal to sell you firearms to private individuals UNLESS they have a valid Federally Issued Firearms License.
Under this plan, the federal government will know where ever LEGAL firearm is in the United States. This does not to address the problems with ILLEGAL firearms. It is only going to restrict the freedoms of people who own firearms legally. The crimes are not committed by the legal owners of the guns.
OK, so those items aren’t the worst……..
The bills main purpose is to keep firearms out of the reach of children. It also puts the burden on the owner of the gun if someone under 18 uses the firearm in a crime. You have to prove that you had the gun under lock and key, unloaded, and stored in a safe place. If you can’t do that, then you are under law responsible for the crime done with your firearm.
Basically, if someone under 18 takes your firearms and uses it in a crime, you are responsible for the crime because you did not store your firearm where the child could not get it.