First, Global Warming. What global warming. Check the news. I thought that global warming was suppose to eliminate or make winters more mild. That is definitely not the case this year.
According to the US National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), the average temperature of the global land surface in January 2008 was below the 20th century mean (-0.02°F/-0.01°C) for the first time since 1982.
Temperatures were also colder than average across large swathes of central Asia, the Middle East, the western US, western Alaska and southeastern China.
The NCDC reported that the cold conditions were associated with “the largest January snow cover extent on record for the Eurasian continent and for the Northern Hemisphere”.
In some parts of China and central Asia, snow fell for the first time in living memory, the NCDC noted.
“For the contiguous United States, the average temperature was 30.5°F (-0.83°C) for January, which was 0.3°F (0.2°C) below the 20th century mean and the 49th
coolest January on record, based on preliminary data”.
Much of North America was also hit by the heaviest snowfall since the 1960s.
Second, Carbon = Global Warming. Now that NASA actually has satellites in that can take readings to determine the amount of carbon in the atmosphere, they have found out that it is not a build up of carbon that is heating up the Earth. Methane and the heating of the Earths water supply does more damage. So caping carbon output is not going to effect the imaginary idea of global warming. Carbon only stops 8% of the radiation coming from the sun. 92% of it hits other items such as Methane. (BTW, the biggest producer of methane in the US is cattle, sounds like we all need to go vegetarian. Oh wait, that would mean more people eating Earths resources. I thought that was a bad thing.) Only 3% of carbon emissions around the globe is produced by humans. The other 97% of carbon dioxide is produced by respiration and vegetation decay. So basically the Cap and Trade is trying to solve the problem of global warming by trying to reduce 3% of 8% of the cause.
Third, Cap and Trade is flawed thinking. Basically, companies have to pay the government to have the right to produce carbon emissions during production. So the government says they will be able to collect billions of dollars from this program. The industries that need to buy carbon credits will not keep the cost to themselves. Remember, 95% of all US electricity is produced by COAL power plants. So 95% of the US electricity supply will be affected and will have to purchase carbon credits from the government. They will then pass the cost on to the consumer in the form a rate hikes. So because of this, the government collects money, and the consumer pays more as well. Well the politicians have thought of everything. They are then going to give the people back the money they collected to help off-set the increase in rates. So, how is this going to curb carbon production? It is not. The company still gets its money, and the consumer gets a credit from the government so it does not affect them either (but the consumer only gets the credit if they make under a specific dollar amount). So how is this going to make people want to not product CO2? And remember, if we can cut carbon emissions caused by humans we are only eliminating 3% of 8% of the global warming issue.
All I can say is this. For those who make over the magic number, watch your utilities, gas, and other items skyrocket in price. (Obama himself is quoted saying that the cost of electricity is going to skyrocket.) Cap & Trade is just another example of how the government thinks it can take money from one group of people (businesses in this case) and give it to another group of people.