Max Englestead – History written by twin sister Maxine 3-6-1981

This is a written history for M. Max Englestead, written by his twin sister, Maxine E. Kieffer on March 6,1981.  Maxine is my Grandmother.

I will try to remember things about Max when we were children.

Max was born on April 13, 1920, being a twin to Maxine.  Maxine was born 15 minutes earlier than max.  We were born at home, as we didn’t have a hospital in the small town.  We had a small home.

His parents were Marion Henry Englestead and Ellen Marie (known as Nellie) Ownes Englestead. We were born at Panguitch, Garfield County, Utah, him being the sixth child.  Max had big brown eyes, brown wavy hair and was liked by all.  He attended Panguitch elementary and high schools.

In high school he was put on the basketball team when he was a freshman.  He was a fast player. We went to school during the depression, so it wasn’t easy to get jobs.  He would work 10 days in the hay field to bring home a load of hay to help feed our cattle.  We had two cows most of the time.  Max would call to one of the old cows called “Old Mack”.  The cow would come and stand while he milked her.

He loved children and had many friends.

When we were born, Aunt Ada was there and the midwife.  After I was born, dad ran to town (4 blocks away).  As he got down the r blocks, he saw the doctor pass him by.  The doctor had to go 4 blocks in the car, and dad beat him home running, and told him that one child had been born and another was coming.

When max and I were young and the neighbors would give him cookies, he always saw that I got one too.  The neighbors liked to do this because he would take one and put it behind his back and ask for one for Sis, and then he would bring it home to me.  He was always kind and gentle to us all.  He had a very pleasing personality and liked by those he know. Max was a good ball player.  I remember on ball game when we went down to Monroe for the Round Robin, and their team was so afraid of our team that they had their pep band cheering section yell, “Get Englestead! Get Englestead!”   Because Max would be back under the basket for the fast break and to let the other players know he was back there they would all start yelling.

He had many friends and loved to go to Tom Marshall’s home.  They had a Shetland ponies and he loved to help take care of them.  Tom and him were very good friends and did a lot of fun things together.

Jack and max were about the same age and around the corner lived Uncle Dave Owens, another brother, and they had a boy named Datus who was our age.  So the three of them were seen together all the time.  Jack was a very good fighter, so if anyone got into trouble he was always there to help.

Max married Josephine Seaman on December 21, 1940.  They were very much in love.  A daughter was born to them on September 6, 1941.  They named her Florence Kay.  She was a beautiful, sweet child.  Max was so proud of her and made a big fuss over here all the time.  They lived in Panguitch Utah.  They were married by Hans P. Ipson.

Florence Kay was born there.  Then for a while they moved to Ely, Nevada for about two years.  Then they moved to Boulder City, Nevada.  He worked on Boulder Dam.  While there, things seemed to happen between Josephine and max, maybe it was because they were so young, but Josephine decided to leave Max.  He was very sad about this.  He did love her and loved his little girl.  He asked  her to return, but I guess pride stopped her from returning, anyway, there was a divorce.

Max was later drafted into the army.  While fighting in Italy he was sounded and was in the hospital for some time.  Later he was released.  He still had shrapnel in his Knee and it was hard to walk at times.

Whenever Max and I were at a dance, he always danced with me.  He always seemed proud to be my brother.  He was a good brother to all of us.

There were nine of us in his family.  Four sisters and four brothers.

There wasn’t anything he wouldn’t do for a person if he could do it.  He could talk to you and make you feel very special. When Max was released from the service after the second world war, he went back to Boulder city to be with his mother and dad.  He got a job there.  His ex-wife had married his cousin, Elmo Englestead.  They lived there, too, so he was able to see his daughter.

He worked for a construction company.  One payday he received more money than he thought was his, so he went to his boss and told him.  The boss said that it was his because since he had come to work he had made the others work harder to keep up with him.

One morning he went to work and one of the guys had put some sand in a wheel barrow.  Max said he would surely have to get here tomorrow early or they would have all the work done before he got here.  The man liked him and he would kid them and get them to do more work.  So the boss paid him a little more.

Josephine would let Florence Kay walk down to see her daddy Max at work, as it was not far from where they lived.  This would make him Very happy.

He had only been home three or four months from the war when he was in a car accident on April 17, 1946 and was killed.  He was 26 years old.  This made the family very sad, and two years before our brother Karl had given his life for his country fighting in the war, he was also 26 years old.

Mother and dad and family were very sad as they were both fine men. Trustworthy, fair in all he did.  I loved Max very much and missed him.

While Max was fighting in the war he and two other men were sent out to see where the Germans were.  On the way back they knew that they were being followed at any time they could be shot, but just as they got to their camp, the two Germans gave themselves up and came out so they could be seen.  They gave their guns over to them.  They had shells so could have killed them at any time.  They were hungry and waned to be fed.  The captain of the group said that they couldn’t feed everyone that was hungry.  He told Max to take them out a not to bring them back.  Max said he was very sorry, but they hadn’t taken his life and he would not take theirs.  It would have made him a higher grade, but he said he couldn’t, so another man went with them.  He returned without them.  He received two more stripes.

Max felt bad to think that everyone couldn’t be fair, as he always played fair in all his games.   He felt this was not a fair play for these men.  He said stripes and money were not worth the heartache it would bring to him the rest of his life if he had done such a thing.


You can download the PDF version of this by clicking here.