Utah!!! Utah may have it quirks, it may have its problems, and it definitely has its false reputation accusations to deal with. But there are a lot of reasons why I live and stay in Utah. Here is a recent list of news items that make me proud to be a member of this state.
- Alta and Snowbird ranked #2 sky resorts to visit in 2013.
- Utah tops Forbes 2012 list of The Best States for Business.
- Utah is the 3rd best state to retire in.
- Utah #5 in the Most Peaceful States.
- Utah #1 in income equality in the US.
- Utah #1 in Charity Giving in the US.
- Utah #8 in life expectancy.
- Utah #1 in the US by fertility rate.
- Utah has the lowest number of single parent households.
- Utah has the lowest marijuana use for 12-17 year olds.
- Utah ranked #3 in the US for Family and Community.
- 7th healthiest state in the nation.
- UTAH BEST U.S. State to live in.
- …. And the list goes on.
Utah does best in part because it is among the top two best-performing states for low smoking habits, ease of finding clean and safe water, having supervisors who treat workers like a partner rather than a boss, learning something new or interesting on any given day, and perceptions that your city or area are “getting better” rather than “getting worse.” [Gallup.com]
So, the next time you hear someone call you a Utard, or another term to belittle you because you live in Utah, you can back hand them and explain that Utah is the best state to live in (and the rankings and polls support that).
Note: Please don’t physically back hand someone, but think about it and then be nice.